Skip all menus (access key: 2) Skip first menu (access key: 1)
Documents You Should Bring or Have Sent to Canada to Apply for Occupational Entry, Work, or Educational Studies

Prepared by the Canadian Institute for Recognizing Learning (CIRL)
March 2004

Occupation: Teacher


As a professional trained in a country outside Canada, you must have your qualifications to work as a teacher in Saskatchewan assessed by the Teacher Services Unit of Saskatchewan Learning, the government department that certifies primary and secondary school teachers.

Teacher Services has a list of certification and documentation requirements and an application package. This package and instructions are provided on the Saskatchewan Learning website at The website will explain the application process. At the time of print, a new website was under development. It is

Document Translations

All documents submitted to Teacher Services must be translated into English. Translations will be accepted only from the consulate, high commission, or embassy (in Canada) of the country which issued the documents; a Canadian embassy/consulate/high commission in the country from which you are emigrating; a Canadian-certified translator; or a translator who has received accreditation through a federal or provincial government in Canada. One way to arrange for translations by a qualified translator is to contact Translations Canada at

To Apply for Registration

You will need to obtain the following documents from your home country and submit them along with your application for certification. All documents issued by educational institutions must be sent directly to Teacher Services. All academic records must be in the official language of the granting institution and accompanied by English translations.

  1. An official Statement of Professional Standing from the teaching authority in which you received your teaching training. This statement must be sent from the authority directly to Teacher Services.
  2. Official transcripts from all academic studies showing courses taken, credits awarded and grades received from all secondary and post-secondary institutions attended. Transcripts must be sent directly from the academic institutions to Teacher Services. For transcripts that lack sufficient detail, an outline of the program and the courses taken (issued by the university) must accompany the university transcript.
  3. A certified copy of your teaching certificate or proof of eligibility to hold a teaching certificate in the jurisdiction where your teacher training was obtained (for example, a letter of eligibility from the education authority.
  4. A certified photocopy of your birth certificate or passport as proof of your name and date of birth. A certified photocopy of your marriage certificate or legal proof of change of name if your current name is not the same as on your birth certificate or passport.
  5. A certified photocopy of your certificate of Canadian citizenship photo ID, Canadian passport, work visa or document confirming your landed immigrant status.

Certified copies are photocopies signed by a lawyer, a notary public, a commissioner of oaths, or a principal or director of education who can attest that “this is a true copy of the original document”.

To Apply for Employment

There are many agencies in Saskatchewan that can help you find employment in your field or in other occupations if you are unable to practice your occupation. To assist you with this, we also recommend that you obtain the following documents from your home country and be prepared to have them translated into English.

  1. Documentation and other evidence that demonstrate your ability to speak English. It can be difficult to obtain employment in professions or skilled trades in Canada without good language skills.
  2. Certified copies of previous job descriptions and other documentation that presents details of your past work experience, particularly how long you worked in each job.
  3. Copies of detailed courses descriptions of the courses you took during your postsecondary education.
  4. Copies of program descriptions of all degree and non-degree programs of study that you graduated from at college and university.
  5. Original or certified copies of degrees, diplomas, and certificates from the secondary schools, colleges and universities from which you graduated.
  6. Original or certified copies of transcripts from the above secondary schools, colleges and universities.
  7. Documents that describe courses or training you took through work or in the community.
  8. Documents that describe community organizations that you did volunteer work with and descriptions of your volunteer duties.
  9. Original letters of reference from previous employers confirming your job duties and responsibilities and the quality of your work. If possible, some of these references should be from Canadians familiar with your work.
  10. Original letters of reference from community organizations for whom you did volunteer work.
  11. A resume prepared in a style consistent with Canadian business practices.
  12. Samples of your work.