Skip all menus (access key: 2) Skip first menu (access key: 1)
Documents You Should Bring or Have Sent to Canada to Apply for Occupational Entry, Work, or Educational Studies

Prepared by the Canadian Institute for Recognizing Learning (CIRL)
March 2004

Occupation: Engineering Technologist


Nunavut has no professional association for the occupation of engineering technologist. Employers assess applicant qualifications and may rely on certification by a technology association in one of Canada’s provinces to verify applicant competence.
For more information, contact one of Canada’s provincial engineering technology associations or the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists for a referral at You can obtain information on each of the provincial associations by using this Document Information Tool.

Document Translations

All documents that you submit in support of your application for certification or employment should be translated into English. We recommend that copies of documents used for translation be certified by the issuing institution, a lawyer, or a notary public and that you use the services of a Canadian-certified translator. One way to arrange for certified translators is to contact Translations Canada at

To Apply for Employment

There are agencies in Nunavut that can help you find employment in your field or in other occupations if you are not able to practice your occupation. To assist you with this, we also recommend that you obtain the following documents from your home country and be prepared to have them translated into English.

  1. Documentation and other evidence that demonstrate your ability to speak in English. It can be difficult to obtain employment in skilled trades in Canada without good language skills.
  2. Copies of previous job descriptions and other documentation that presents details of your past work experience, particularly how long you worked in each job.
  3. Copies of detailed courses descriptions of all courses you took during your training.
  4. Copies of program descriptions of all degree and non-degree programs of study that you graduated from at college or university.
  5. Original or certified copies of degrees, diplomas, and certificates from the secondary schools, colleges and universities from which you graduated.
  6. Original or certified copies of transcripts from the above secondary schools, colleges and universities.
  7. Documents that describe courses or training you took through work or in the community.
  8. Documents that describe community organizations that you did volunteer work with and descriptions of your volunteer duties.
  9. Original letters of reference from previous employers confirming your job duties and responsibilities and the quality of your work. Some of these references should be from Canadians familiar with your work.
  10. Original letters of reference from community organizations for whom you did volunteer work.
  11. A resume prepared in a style consistent with Canadian business practices.
  12. Samples of your work.