Skip all menus (access key: 2) Skip first menu (access key: 1) Documents You Should Bring or Have Sent to Canada to Apply for Occupational Entry, Work, or Educational Studies

Agency: World Education Services (WES)


World Education Services (WES) is an academic credential service supported by the Government of Ontario. It conducts evaluations that convert educational credentials from any country in the world into their Canadian equivalents by describing each certificate, diploma or degree you have earned and stating its academic equivalency in Canada.

The evaluations are expert opinions for information purposes only and are not binding. However, you may find them useful in applying for employment, an adult education program, or becoming a member of certain professions. You must complete a WES application form for credential evaluation. You can obtain your assessment before you leave your home country or after you arrive in Canada. For information on the evaluation process visit

Below are documents you should bring or have sent to Canada for assessment of your qualifications by WES. Licensing and other occupational bodies may have additional requirements. It is your responsibility to identify these requirements. To obtain this information by using this document information tool, click on your occupation and the province in which you intend to live or visit the relevant licensing body’s website.

Document Translations

All documents submitted to WES for assessment must be translated word for word into English by Canadian-certified translators or official translators in your home country. You may provide translators with copies of the documents instead of originals. One way to arrange for appropriate Canadian-certified or official translators is to contact Translations Canada at

To obtain a WES credential assessment:

To obtain an assessment of your qualifications by WES you will be required to submit clear copies of the following documents:

  1. All final degree certificates (or provisional degree certificates) issued by the awarding institution
  2. Registration and license certificates for state-regulated professions (e.g. medicine, dentistry, nursing, midwifery, pharmacy, teaching, etc.)

For a Course-by-Course evaluation, please also submit clear photocopies of:

  1. Official transcripts or mark sheet(s) issued by the institutions or state boards and sent directly to WES by the institutions, indicating all subjects and marks. In cases where a university does not issue mark sheets for a given year, college-issued mark sheets will be accepted.
  2. University-issued syllabi indicating course titles and descriptions.
    (If you are submitting transcripts from an incomplete degree program, please also include your secondary school transcript, with an English translation.)

To Apply for Employment

There are many agencies in Ontario that can help you find employment in your field or in other occupations if you are not able to practice your current occupation. To assist you with this, we also recommend that you obtain the following documents from your home country and be prepared to have them translated into English.

  1. Certified copies of previous job descriptions and other documentation that presents details of your past work experience and knowledge.
  2. Copies of detailed courses descriptions of non-degree courses previously taken at college and university.
  3. Documents that describe courses you took through work or in the community.
  4. Documents that describe community organizations that you did volunteer work with and descriptions of your volunteer duties.
  5. Original letters of reference from previous employers and community organizations for whom you did volunteer work.
  6. A resume prepared in a style consistent with Canadian business practices.
  7. Samples of your work.

Prepared by the Canadian Institute for Recognizing Learning (CIRL), March 2004