Skip all menus (access key: 2) Skip first menu (access key: 1) Documents You Should Bring or Have Sent to Canada to Apply for Occupational Entry, Work, or Educational Studies

Agency: Comparative Education Service (CES)

University of Toronto, Ontario

The Comparative Education Service (CES) is an academic credential service located at the University of Toronto. It conducts evaluations that convert educational credentials from other countries into their Canadian equivalents by describing each certificate, diploma or degree you have earned. The evaluations are expert opinions for information purposes only and are not used by the University of Toronto for admissions. The evaluations are not binding but you may find them useful in applying for employment or other occupational purposes. You must complete an application form for an evaluation.

Below are documents you should obtain from your home country for assessment of your academic credentials by CES. Licensing and other occupational bodies may have additional evaluations processes and documentation requirements. It is your responsibility to identify these requirements. To obtain this information, select your occupation and province in this Document Information Tool or visit the relevant licensing body’s website. You may want to print this page.

Document Translations

The CES requires that all documents be translated word for word into English and notarized by a notary public or Commissioner of Oaths. You may provide translators with copies of the documents instead of originals. One way to arrange for appropriate translators is to contact Translations Canada at

To Obtain a CES Credential Evaluation

To obtain an evaluation of your qualifications by CES you will be required to submit the following documents:

  1. Photocopies of all final secondary school, college and university degrees, diplomas, and certificates.
  2. Notarized copies of transcripts or mark sheet(s) issued by the institutions or state boards, indicating all subjects and marks.
  3. Proof of name change, if applicable (For example if your current name is different than the name on your educational documents you will need to provide your marriage certificate or other official change of name certificate)

You must also complete an application form. You can obtain your evaluation before you leave your home country or after you arrive in Canada. For more information go to: .

To Apply for Employment

There are many agencies in communities in Ontario that can help you find employment in your field or in other occupations if you are not able to practice your current occupation. To assist you with this, we also recommend that you obtain the following documents from your home country and be prepared to have them translated into English.

  1. Certified copies of previous job descriptions and other documentation that presents details of your past work experience and knowledge.
  2. Copies of detailed courses descriptions of non-degree courses previously taken at college and university.
  3. Documents that describe courses you took through work or in the community.
  4. Documents that describe community organizations that you did volunteer work with and descriptions of your volunteer duties.
  5. Original letters of reference from previous employers and community organizations for whom you did volunteer work.
  6. A resume prepared in a style consistent with Canadian business practices.
  7. Samples of your work.

Prepared by the Canadian Institute for Recognizing Learning (CIRL), March 2004